Monday, August 19, 2013

August 19, 2013 - Elder Truscott "The Exterminator"

 
 
Phew!
Another week down! I know, pretty quick here It'll be my one month mark, only 23 left ;) haha. Ya that's nuts that Kaitlyn will be starting school so soon, and that she's just an only child at the moment!  When I start thinking of home I get super homesick....What I wouldn't give for a nice home cooked meal by you and an episode of celebrity apprentice or something! Man I miss home.....

Week 2 was decent I suppose. The one thing that happened that really comes to mind was we were teaching this recent convert, brother France, and he just kind of sat there all lesson you know? like most the people do....and after, when we were done, we asked him if he needed anything, help and stuff. He lives in a SHACK! you'll see, cause I took some pictures with him in it....but he walked over to the corner, lifted up the floor (which is always just like a laminate that they put down) and there was TONS of bugs running all over the floor and up the wall! He said it was pretty bad all over. Gertz didnt do anything....like he just was like, oh that sucks I'm sorry....but I was like Ew, that's freaking disgusting .....and really I'm here to help people out like that.....so I told him I'd buy him some bug spray and see if it wont kill a few of them, he can spray it on the corners and stuff. I bought some and the next lesson I gave it to him, he was super appreciative and I took a pic with him and the bug spray, haha. At church he said it works but smells super strong, so hopefully it helped him out a bit!
Also, that crazy guy who speaks in tongues, we taught him again....and again he started freaking out during our lesson....it scares me a bit honestly! We gave him a blessing  and he did it a few times afterwards, but then stopped by the end of the lesson, so who knows!

Well we're teaching mostly individuals right now....lots of younger guys, around their 20's to 30's, who are struggling with Word of Wisdom stuff. Everyone in Gugs doesn't have a job obviously, so lots of them just sit around and drink and smoke all day long....I sat with one guy, named Xolani, and he is struggling to stop drinking, but he wants to be baptized, and we just go see him all the time and try to help him out in that regard. Also, there's a young kid named Thimbalane who is trying to quit smoking and drinking, and we just started getting with him, but commitments are hard here because lots of the people cant read.... 
 
The members are super nice, and one lady, mama Joyce, is a saint.....she's an old lady, who is super sweet, and she has prepared dinner for us both Sundays I've been here so far, and every time we see her she has snacks and stuff.
When we don't have an appointment we focus on Less Actives. I guess the branch has a problem with people joining and then going less active, so we are trying to focus on retention, so we go teach a lot of recent converts and less active people....
 
We had a zone conference, but it was just ran by the zone leaders, and it was in an area called BellVille. Coming from Gugs it looked like heaven. It was closest thing to home that I've seen so far, and the mall we went to for lunch was amazing. I'm going to bribe president to put me there ;) haha, but the meeting was alright, and I met some kids from the zone and everything.
I love you and miss you so much and think about you and home all the time....I just know that October is going to suck, because I'm going to have to be here instead of hunting with you. But in 2 years ill be back and by then there will be monster bucks just waiting to be shot ;)
 
Love,
Elder Truscott
 

 




1 comment: